Tue, Mar 01|
Homeless Disability Advocacy Program (HDAP) Benefits Advocate Training Series
Intensive, participatory training that will teach HDAP Benefits Advocates the skills and knowledge needed to complete Social Security Disability, SSI, and CAPI applications for HDAP participants.
Time & Location
Mar 01, 2022, 1:00 PM PST – Mar 22, 2022, 5:00 PM PDT
About our session:
This is a series of four courses that must be taken in a series.
- March 1, 1-5pm (Getting Started on Social Security Applications)
- March 8, 1-5pm (Proving Disability under Social Security Rules)
- March 15, 1-5pm (Getting the Application to the Finish Line)
- March 22, 1-5pm (Advocating for Immigrant Clients in CAPI and Social Security Programs)
Intensive, participatory training that will teach HDAP Benefits Advocates the skills and knowledge needed to complete Social Security Disability, SSI, and CAPI applications for HDAP participants. You will learn best practices in working with clients on applications, drafting effective applications under Social Security rules, and will receive helpful tools to make your work easier. The training will be led by attorneys from Inner City Law Center who are specialists in Social Security initial applications. Whether brand-new to benefits advocacy, or already have experience, you will gain knowledge and skills to make you more effective in your work. For SOAR-certified Benefits Advocates, this training will build on and complement SOAR training. The training will be delivered via the Zoom platform.
- May be county HDAP staff or staff at HDAP-contracted community-based organizations who work on disability benefits applications.
- May be new to the Benefits Advocate role or an experienced Benefits Advocate seeking to add skills and knowledge to your Benefits Advocate toolbox.
- May be SOAR certified, but this is not a prerequisite.
- Must commit to attending all four scheduled trainings as they are designed to build on each other in a series.
- Registration is limited to 15 participants.
If you are interested in bringing this training to your community or organization, but are not an HDAP grantee, please contact us for more information at Training@Changewellproject.com.
Getting Started on Social Security Applications
Proving Disability under Social Security Rules